Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lemon Filled Yumminess!

Lemon filled-lemon butter cream icing
It has been a crazy busy week at my house. I guess, by my saying crazy busy, I just really mean. . . well, yes, crazy busy. It has been filled with things that are not quite typical of my Monday thru Wednesday. I am a substitute teacher at my kids' school, and since it is the flu season, I get the call :) Monday, I was exhausted, so I didn't get to make any cupcakes when I came home from school with the kids. Tuesday night I had Bunko (which was on a different night), so I didn't really have a chance to work on cupcakes after I got home with the kids from school. Wednesday is the day I really need to make them since I take them to church with me. The kids are a part of an after school art program that totally rocks for a variety of reasons (1 it's awesome, with a great teacher and 2 I get an extra hour, very handy on days I sub)!!! So in this hour, I decided I would try a new cupcake recipe. Oh, I forgot to mention, I was going to fill my cupcakes with one of my most favorite ingredients, Lemon Curd, and I was out. . . So I guess that is 45 minutes I have to make my cupcakes before I have to pick up the kids. Not normally an issue, but as I mentioned earlier, I wanted to try out a new recipe I had found online. I made this recipe exactly how it was written. It says it makes 12 cupcakes. I got 12 beautifully shaped cupcakes, plus I made 12 mini-cupcakes with this batter. What I loved about the idea of this batter is how much I think I can play with the recipe, making banana or peanut butter or orange or anything else I use a cake mix for!

If you don't want to go to the link above, I will type out exactly what I did.

Ingredients:
Lemon Curd! It is so yummy!
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs 1 at a time. Mix well. Add vanilla. Mix flour and baking powder together then slowly add to mixture. Finally add the milk. I baked these in my cupcake tin with liners (my favorite Reynolds brand, Wilton has some similar that I will be trying out soon) for 20 minutes.



I use this cute little tool.
This was the perfect cupcake for what I needed. I pulled them out right before I had to leave to pick up the kids. While I was gone, the cupcakes were cooling. I used my trusty little tool to get the centers out of the cupcake so I could fill it with lemon curd. YUMMINESS!!!

Filling the cupcakes with Lemon Curd



I picked the kids up at 3:40. My daughter is trying to do her homework when she realizes, she has left a paper at school. We get back to the school by 4:00 (I am leaving at 5 to pick her friend up to go to dinner and church with us). On my way home, I realized that I used my last stick of butter in the cake. . . I was going to make lemon butter cream icing (recipe at the bottom of this post)!!! I am about to run to the store once again when my daughter asks, Can we please go home first so I can finish my homework? Seriously, how can I say no to that? Thankfully the store is close and she finished her homework quite quickly. We went to the store to get butter. I buy 3 pounds of butter. I don't want that happening again :). I am home by 4:30. I whip out my lemon butter cream icing, but it in a piping bag with a 4E tip and frost my cupcakes. I am done by 4:53. I have minutes to spare! I put them in the car, pick up my daughter's bestie, meet my parents for Chinese food before church, and have the Yummy Lemon Filled cupcakes for the fellowship after the church service. Ahhhhhh, now I can breathe.

It is Thursday morning, the kids are at school, and I have the rest of the day to myself. Of course that means laundry, shopping for new soccer shorts for my daughter, helping my mom pick out material for a quilt she is wanting to make (I am hoping I can purchase a little extra so she will make me one too) and maybe making another cupcake! Of course, none of these things are a hardship, (with the exception of laundry) so I will enjoy my day immensely!


I piped the icing directly on top of this.

*******Lemon Butter Cream Icing**********
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
4 cups powdered sugar
3 TBSP Lemon juice

Cream butter and Crisco. Slowly add powdered sugar. Add lemon juice. Add a little more sugar if you need to get the right consistency.

1 comment:

  1. Thankfully, this week isn't a typical week. You are too sweet, and I guess I wouldn't even be blogging without encouragement. Not to mention, it is really fun on Wednesday nights when at church they say, "What cupcake did you make this week?"

    ReplyDelete