Friday, September 27, 2013

Cake Leftovers?! Make Cakeballs!

I am slowly trying to get back into the "blog-o-sphere."  When the kids take the summer off, I have to take the summer off. Now that school is back in full swing. . . as well as soccer. . . I get to play in the kitchen. I have been making a few more cakes lately. When I make a cake I will level it off or cut it into a shape. I really need to do something with all those leftovers that have been removed. On a white cake once, my mom used some of the leftovers for a strawberry shortcake. I decided that I needed to make some cake balls. I've made an entire cake before with the sole purpose being to make cake balls, why can't I just use my leftover cake.

To make cake balls you need very few ingredients.

  • Cake--one you make at home from scratch, a mix, store bought, or leftover cake
  • Icing--your choice of homemade or store bought
  • Candy Coating--Wilton Candy melts or Almond Bark are excellent options
I take my cooled cake and throw it in my mixer. Then I add my icing and mix together. Once this is finished, I shape it into balls (or whatever shape you really want. .  I did a strawberry flavor and shaped them into that shape), and then I place them into the freezer. Once they have solidified a bit, I follow my package directions on the candy coating, and I dip my cake balls into the candy and place on wax paper to set up. These will refrigerate for a while. I have even had some friends freeze the finished product. If I don't have time to complete all of them, I keep my cake balls, frozen in a ziploc baggie, and I can pull them out to finish them whenever I want. Great for a quick fun dessert.

You can do this with white, chocolate, or other fabulously flavored cake, and combine it with an amazing icing. I made some Cookies and Cream Cake balls (Pictured below). Those came about because I didn't have enough white cake, and so I threw in some crushed Oreos (which was reminding me of the Oreo balls I love to make). I didn't add my full container of icing because of the filling in the Oreos, and I followed my same procedures



Cookies and Cream Cake Balls
The other ones I made, I used leftover chocolate cake (I had made a moose shaped cake) and I found this delicious chocolate caramel icing made by Hershey's that I combined with it.
Chocolate Caramel cake balls

Hopefully I can the the time to blog about some of my other fun foods. . . not just cupcakes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment