Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Resurrection Cupcakes

My resurrection cupcake
I had a little green icing leftover one day, so I decided to try something out. I have previously mentioned that I was trying to figure out how to make a cupcake that reflected my faith, but didn't seem. . . I don't know weird. I mean really, I can't imagine eating a baby Jesus (at Christmas) and it just didn't seem right to put a cross on a cupcake (at least to me). To me, cupcakes just seem to scream CELEBRATION! So I began to think, what is it I "celebrate" at this Easter season. It is the resurrection. So I decided to make a cupcake depicting something so significant to the Christian faith. . . the empty tomb.

I started out with a cake mix. It was just a nice simple thing . . . I think it was cherry chip because I wanted to experiment with some cherry icing. Anyway. . .I knew I could do my empty tomb cupcake a few different ways. I could stack a mini cupcake on top of a regular sized cupcake. . . to give it a more domed shape. . . I could just pile it high with icing. . . or I could do it this third way.

I used my handy dandy "cupcake corer" tool and cut out a portion of the cupcake. I filled my hole with a little icing. I put a little black icing on the top of the small piece and then I placed it on its side. I don't have pictures of this. . . I honestly didn't think about it as I was doing it. This was such a spur of the moment idea that I really didn't think to have my camera handy during this process in order to blog about it.

I thought it looked like a one eyed monster here :()
After I put the black icing on it, I piped the green icing on with my "grassy" tip. I mentioned in a previous blog that you could use this tip or just a star tip and do an elongated star for grass.
My grassy tip



I thought it needed some type of a "stone" that was rolled away. I had some leftover "robin's eggs" from a previous project and used one as a stone.

I thought of just using a little white icing until I hit on the "robin's egg" idea

I thought I needed a path also. I used a little brown sugar and patted it down to make my path.




There really isn't much more to say. . . I normally say something like these were a cute and yummy cupcake. .  but I have a hard time thinking of it as "cute". It is very symbolic. . . and it tasted good. You can't really go wrong with a mix. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment