Friday, February 22, 2013

Cookies & Cream Cupcakes

It's been a while since I have blogged about my cupcakes. . . not because I haven't done any. It's just that I have had a couple of days to really play around with cupcakes and icing and I am trying to decide what to start with. Since I last blogged (on Valentine's Day), I have made a Cookies & Cream cupcake and played around with carrot cupcakes again, found a new strawberry cupcake recipe and a new method for flavoring icing, and I played with fillings for my chocolate cupcakes. So I guess I will just start with the Cookies & Cream and know that the strawberry will be next, and then new filling ideas for the chocolate cupcakes will follow that and OH MY GOODNESS, I just remembered about another cupcake I made combining leftover batter that I got all prepared for (and that my family LOVED) and never blogged about. . .It's good to know that I have my blogs figured out for a while.

Cookies & Cream
Sunday nights after Bible Study we have a fellowship. It seems a pretty common thing in our church to do. The Bible Study group I am a part of had their turn to bring refreshments on Sunday night. I thought, since I am pretty decent at making cupcakes, that will be my contribution. I made my carrot cupcakes because I wanted to try something new for my decorations. I also made a new-to-cupcaking-recipe-for-me. I used to make this all the time as a cake. I thought it would be a perfect time to try it as a cupcake.

Cupcakes with the crushed cookies
This is quite a simple process. You can do this with your favorite white cake recipe. Since I was going for quick and easy, I chose the cake mix option. Put your cake mix together according to package directions. Before pouring into my prepared cupcake pan, I crushed a sleeve of Oreo cookies (any chocolate sandwich cookie will do). I used the Double Stuff, but I honestly thing the regular would work out fine, and maybe even a little better. I baked for the same amount of time (according to package directions) in my preheated oven. I usually let mine bake for about 20-25 minutes, depending on how full they are.

Trying to decide what looks better


After letting them cool, I made a buttercream icing that I used to put the "cupcake swirl" on top. I had some crushed cookies leftover and I sprinkled them on top. I also tried using an Oreo cookie, but I thought that was too big without REALLY piling on the icing. If you wanted to do the cookie on top, the mini variety of those would be a nice option. The other thing you could do, is put the crushed cookies IN the icing. Since I was going to be using my leftover icing for something else, I chose not to put the cookies in the icing.



This made a great cupcake. I had some left after church that I took to my friend who is recuperating from a wreck and she thought they were quite tasty. I always love having feedback on these cupcakes; I gotta know what people like :). I know what I like, as these cupcakes are mostly made according to my tastes.
The cupcakes I took to church, Cookies & Cream and Carrot

No comments:

Post a Comment